Sunday, February 8, 2009

The Dave Ramsey Antidote

Saturday I spent most of the day doing something I really enjoy. That was introducing a group of my coworkers and a few family members to Dave Ramsey's Financial Peace University. I don't actually teach it at the moment, although I may in the future; I just administer it. So this is the fifth time in two years I have been privileged to be part of the first steps a group of people take towards taking back their financial lives. I love it.

In these days of so much financial turmoil, it is increasingly clear to me how strong the tie can be between physical health and financial health. I emphasize can because it isn't always so.
Having too much month left at the end of the money on a regular basis can cause chronic stress, insomnia and result in a host of health problems. Not having enough money to pay for health insurance, health screenings, copays, etc. also puts us at risk for failing to discover health conditions before it is too late to correct them.

But when the cashflow meets your expenses and you have an emergency fund to cover...well, emergencies, the tie is much looser. It's like trying to ride a horse that continually wants to run and crowhop around compared to riding a horse that you can casually guide up a trail loosely holding the reins. Frustration vs. ahhhh, pure pleasure.

Debt has been like a burr under our saddles nationwide. It might not be the only one, but it's a biggie. I don't know if you have ever heard of Dave Ramsey, but he is a Christian guy who lost everything in his twenties and turned his life around financially and otherwise. Now he helps others do the same. Getting out of debt and staying that way is one of the major keys to ensuring we can afford the healthcare we need and get to our goal age someday. It's Dave's primary focus. No weird software or quick get-rich schemes - it's hard work, but worth it. When you aren't paying everyone else all the time, you get to pay yourself and help others! Yippee!

Check out his website at http://www.daveramsey.com

4 comments:

  1. Hello!
    Well you certainly are speaking to my heart and a lot of issues in my life...We are trying to get on with jsut starting the plans of DRFPU!!
    Right now, I am riding the calm horse no the trails...but still have to come home to face the music!
    KK
    Thanks for signing up to "Follow/Lead/Share" on my blog!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good for you on FPU! Changed my life, honestly. The light at the end of the tunnel is coming very close and it's not a train, but our opportunity to call Dave's radio show and scream "We're debt Free!" Can't wait.

    And you are so welcome. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey, Anne,

    I just had a chance to sit down and really read your website. Lot's of good stuff. Did we tell you that Steve and I are doing FPU at Alive?

    Deannea

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, Deannea. You are going to love it. Can't wait to hear how it's going. We're part of the way through the course at work and we've already had over 20 credit cards cut up by people in class. Yea! Thanks so much for visiting my blog AND following me! See you at Life Group!

    ReplyDelete